June 12, 2009
avoiding housework, part II
(this is a "meme" going around on facebook, about movies.)
1. What movie have you seen the most times in the theater? How many times?
"mr. mom", that 80's movie with michael keaton. it played at the neighborhood cinema and afternoon shows were only a dollar. we were 13 years old and just wanted to hang out in the AC and eat popcorn.
2. What was the last movie you walked out of in the theater?
i would have walked out of "coraline" if i wasn't there with family & friends. the 3D glasses wouldn't work for me, no matter how i tilted my head or squinted my eyes. so the whole film was blurry. (it was also really boring.)
i also wished i had walked out of "boxing helena". i still feel dirty for having sat through the entire mess.
3. What is the first movie you remember seeing in a theater?
my parents took me to the drive-in as a kid, and i have vague memories of disney movies like "love bug", "freaky friday" and the beatles "yellow submarine" all mixed together.
4. What is your favorite movie soundtrack?
the "pretty in pink" soundtrack changed my life. really!
5. Have you ever dressed up as a movie character for Halloween? If so, who?
nope. but i would have dressed up as anton chigurh (from "no country for old men") if we'd gone out last halloween.
6. What was the first R-rated movie you ever saw? Were you allowed or did you sneak?
we got HBO when i was 9 or 10, and i saw "clockwork orange". yeah, that was a bit.... unsettling.
7. Star Wars (orig. trilogy) or Lord of the Rings?
neither. well, lord of the rings had some pretty fairy type ladies, so i pick that one.
8. Pacino or DeNiro?
9. Titanic...did it suck or was it great?
it was ok. i saw it with a co-worker, a nice 50 year old gal, who cried through the entire last hour. i only cried when the band kept playing as they sank.
10. What's your take on Cassavetes?
that's a song title by that lesbian band.....i can't think of their name, dammit!!! the girl who plays drums has a mustache!
anyways, i am really torn about cassavetes. i've seen all the films. i've loved them, been horrified and uncomfortable by them, and gotten bored with them. i think i could take all the films and edit them into a 1 hour "best of cassavetes" clip.
i love the improv and the screwed up characters. gene rowlands, of course, is amazing. but sometimes it seems sort of forced and exhausting.
ok, that was a ramble, on to the next question!
11. Favorite John Hughes character?
any character molly ringwald played. also, the tomboy drummer girl from "some kind of wonderful"
12. What movie gives you a boner (or makes you tingle)?
the hunger (80's vampire movie with david bowie). or at least it used to back in the 80's!
13. What movie always makes you cry like the big puss you are?
"awakenings" & "gorillas in the mist" made me cry so hard my shirt was soaked.
14. What's the furthest you've ever gotten in a movie theater? (i.e, second base...)
i kissed a boy i didn't know during a repeated viewing of "mr. mom"! embarassing!!!!
15. Speaking of sports metaphors, what's your favorite sports movie?
um.... i hate sports......... can't think of any.....
(a)... teen movie?
(b)...Quentin Tarantino movie?
(c)...Bill Murray movie?
"punch drunk love"
can't think of any....
can think of too many! i guess "the shining" is my fav.
(g)...made for TV movie?
"the boy in the bubble"
"fear and loathing in las vegas"
"nightmare before christmas"
17. What movie have you seen already but will never, ever, ever watch again?
18. What movie are you embarrassed to really like?
19. What movie should be remade asap?
"let's scare jessica to death"
20. What the F happened to (insert answer)? He used to be so damn funny!
21. For the love of everything that's sacred, please someone stop (insert answer) from making another movie!
22. What movie do all your friends love but you think is whatevs?
all zombie movies
23. What movie do you love but all your friends think is whatevs?
"out of africa"
24. If you could hump/date/marry any movie character, who would it be?
ron burgandy in "anchorman" because you get to ride a unicorn on a rainbow!
25. Best movie ever?
"the royal tennenbaums"
26. Book you wish would be made into a movie, and who would direct it?
"the secret history" directed by wes anderson