January 15, 2009

A@W: art at work manifesto!


ART@work: stolen (or found) objects found at work, turned in to art- an art project based on subversion, using unwanted, obsolete office supplies and enforced lunch hours.


I am working on an art project to fill the 1 hour lunch break I am now required to take at work. I want to spend this hour making sure to not work, since it’s unpaid, but more importantly I want to create a work of art each day.


I want to use any office supplies found at empty desks, or covered in dust in supply cabinets. This is not about stealing valuable company property or wasting time an employee is being paid to work. This is about taking a lunch hour and creating something instead of reading the paper, checking facebook, or talking on the phone to your insurance company. It’s about taking that time to do something different.

It’s also about the huge amount of crap floating around a typical office that no one uses. The wasted paper that rarely gets recycled, the mountains of pens and ½ used steno pads left behind in the desks of those laid off or retired.

Example: A rolodex was once a popular & useful item, but is now a dinosaur. I’ve found a few of them, unused, in office supply closets and abandoned desks. I’m going to try and make a drawing on one of the pages of that rolodex each day. I’m going to pass them out to friends and family and ask for “submissions”. In a few months I should have a full rolodex with cool little pieces of art instead of boring phones numbers.

A work of art is defined as:
· Drawings with ink, pen, pencil, etc…
· Collages made with magazines & glue
· Decoupage
· Photographs
· Computer art projects using MS Paint or Snag-it
· Poetry, fiction, any creative writing
· Anything you damn well say it is!

This project is starting on January 15, 2009. I have gathered the rolodex, a box of laser print rolodex cards, a black binder (used), a stack of printer paper with holes pre-punched (found under a stack of inter-office envelopes, covered in dust) and assorted pens, pencils, glue sticks, and my computer. I’ll keep a journal of each day’s work.


3 comments:

Mojito Libre said...

Hey, how do you know what I do at lunch?? Except, substitute newspaper for magazine..you nailed it.

Jen said...

well mojito, you might soon find yourself bossed into making some drawings for the old rolodex!

Anonymous said...

Hmm it seеms like your blоg аte my fігst commеnt (іt was suρer long)
ѕo I guеss I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm thorοughly enjoying your blοg.
ӏ too am an aspiring blog ωriter but Ӏ'm still new to everything. Do you have any recommendations for rookie blog writers? I'd cеrtаinly аpρгeсiаte it.



Look аt my blοg: tens machine