September 3, 2008

here's something that made me cry at work today...

david letterman is featured in this month's rolling stone (i need a copy!) he talks about warren zevon's last appearance on his show. that ended up being zevon's last public performance before he passed away. i cry anytime i try to watch clips from that show. (here's part 1 of the show. the entire thing is posted on youtube in parts 1-5.)


here's the quote from rolling stone: The show you did with Warren Zevon, when he'd been diagnosed with terminal cancer and only had months to live: He'd been on many times. Was it a difficult show to do?Oh, it was awful. Warren was so good about it. After the show, it was heartbreaking —he was in his dressing room, and we were talking and this and that. Here's a guy who had months to live and we're making small talk. And as we're talking, he's taking his guitar strap and hooking it, wrapping it around, then he puts the guitar into the case and he flips the snaps on the case and says, "Here, I want you to have this, take good care of it." And I just started sobbing. He was giving me the guitar that he always used on the show. I felt like, "I can't be in this movie, I didn't get my lines." That was very tough.

there's something about warren zevon, hunter s. thompson, and david letterman that i find appealing. i think they would be incredibly difficult to deal with in real life, but as musicians and thinkers, they have influenced me in huge ways. i've read biographies of zevon and thompson, and they could be pretty awful to their friends & families. but i think you can appreciate the artist without condoning their bad behavior.
ok, go watch all 5 clips of letterman & zevon on youtube!!!



2 comments:

glittermom said...

Oh no...the One was enough....

Primordial Dork said...

Tragedy, you say?

I'm sorry, I was distracted by those badass shoes Tina Fey is wearing....