July 10, 2006

ok, after the 3rd person in a week asked me about dixie's "quality of life", i had to be honest with myself. she's not been the same since she got so sick with pancreitis a month ago. her liver was so damaged by the chemo, and her immune system was pretty much destroyed. the vet told me she might not do well when i brought her home. and over the last few weeks i've seen the signs. she's been going potty in the house all the time, and had started peeing on herself in her sleep. her cushing's, once in remission was back. she was drinking tons of water and eating everything in sight, and constantly searching for more food. over the weekend i noticed more blood in her stool and knew it was time. the hind leg weakness was also back, and this horrible rash she got over a month ago never went away. we had her on strong antibiotics, creme and i gave her baths every other day. the vet was so sad to see her rash looking terrible after all the treatment. so dr. bedi and i talked. we agreed that she'd been through enough and wasn't really enjoying life. she HATED the vet and was shaking every time. i knew she was done. he finally said he was proud of me for being strong enough to let her go. and he pointed out that dixie had a wonderful life the last 2 1/2 years. becca (who rescued her at the kennel) and i spoiled her rotten. she ate steak, got to have so many treats and so much fun. zak took such good care of her recently. he helped her up onto his bed so she could get lovin' with the other dogs, when she was too weak to jump up on her own. dan got to meet her a few times, and as i told lisa ann, she was "fancy from the waist up." everyone loved her so much!

ok, i am sad, but i know it was the right thing....here are some of my favorite pics of dixie. besides pics of her looking pretty (which she was!) i've included some hilarious pics of her playing rough and acting wild like she used to do after a bath. she was fancy and gorgeous, but she could kick ass too!








9 comments:

copaX said...

Rest in peace, Dixie. You were a good dog. I only got to meet you a couple times recently, but could tell you really enjoyed your life at Jen and Zak's.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you had to let her go. But I agree with Dr, Bedi, that you gave her everything for the best part of her life. How many dogs get to go to McDonalds in a Jeep, and get their own food? You used to take her everywhere, and even got her a friend. She was very lucky. Also, she could flip out like a ninja and herd the other animals, what dog is that cool? And still be beautiful enough to wear a pink formal and a tiara?
I remember when you got her, and were very worried about her, and took so much time getting her diagnosed and treated. And you never know how much time you would have. I am glad you got the past years, and I am sure she is too.

Primordial Dork said...

Dixie was a love. If Squirrels were allowed in heaven (which they're not because they're nasty bastids, every single one) Dixie and Miles would be chasing them from cloud to cloud together.

Anonymous said...

Ah, Jenny. I'm so sorry. You were the best doggie-mom to her that she could have ever dreamed of. You saved her and gave her love and joy and meat. She loved you and was lucky to have you. Ditto for me.

duchessdoright said...

You did the right thing. You did the unselfish thing. Putting an animal to sleep is one of the hardest, most painful decisions that a person ever has to make. But no animal wants to live a life of pain and decrepitude. So really it was a humane decision.

Anonymous said...

This the hardest things an animal lover has to do.

Dixie was incredibly sweet. I've only met her a few times but she left a big impression. She was very, very lucky to have someone like you to care for her and she won't forget.

Anonymous said...

I never met her, and I do not know you other then through your posts on the Border Collie Board.

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep

I am a thousand winds that blow;
I am the diamond glints on the snow.

I am the sunlight on the ripened grain;
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush;
I am the swift uplifting rush

Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft star that shines at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there; I did not die.

~author unknown


I wish your heart to heal soon.

vivalarobot said...

i didn't want to read this post because i knew it would make me cry. damnyou for making me cry AGAIN. although i love those pictures of her flipping out like a ninja so much.
between this and mom giving me sad bastard books to read, i think i am officially disowning you both!

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested