the big cabbage roll debate....
ok, per matt (direct quote from myspace):"seriously, who in the name of fuck puts sour krout on goddamned cabbage rolls. Onions and green peppers maybe... but goddamned krout!? WHAT PLANET ARE YOU FROM!!"
now, is it a cleveland thing? i mean, are we the only ones adding saur kraut? and how is it spelled??? (mag's will know)
now matt is not a native clevelander, so i'd like to know what renny has to say. how do they make them in southern OH? and lobsterboy, do they even eat them in florida. zak's a chef, maybe he knows.....
Comments
And I saw a show on the food channel where they were in Memphis and they put shredded cabbage and/or cole slaw on ALL of their sangwiches, instead of lettuce - and I think they do that crap in Pittsburgh, too. Not so much on the cabbage sangwich. And I'm not real down with the french fries on the sangwich, either. You know, like they do at Pannini? It just seems improper.
And, BTW, it is "saurkraut."
Sticklady, you can make those cabbage rolls and I'll eat them day and night!!!
I'm thinking of either making a pot of beef stew, or a home-made chicken pot pie - unfortunately, both sans kraut. Which do you people pick?
My grandmother had what you call a Kraut Barrel in the basement, which means she made her own in this big ceramic crock and it smelled real bad. I asked my mom and she said it's just cabbage, salt and vinegar pressed down until the brine is drained off over a three or four week period.
Eccch.
Nobody I know of makes cabbage rolls with sauerkraut! Here it's the slightly sweet paprika tomato sauce with a pork/beef/egg/rice filling not too different fom stuffed grape leaves.
Onions? Peppers? Kraut?
Unthinkable.
matt, alas, is a german, which explains his aversion to cabbage rolls with sauerkrat. but NOTHING explains adding green pepper! that's just total madness!
Not that it means anything, but Lobstermom is from Cleveland. If I think of it, I'll ask her if cabbage rolls were ever made at her house. Her family was Irish, so knowing that side of the family like I do, they would've made it very bland, and probably with a can of tomato soup in it.
Oh, and about the potluck... Do you have enough chairs for everyone?
When I was a lousy vegetarian we often made a version with textured vegetable protein and rice. It was really really good.
We have to bring real food on Sunday? I do not cook well, or so everyone tells me. Maybe I will purchase...
BTW JenJen, I have been scaring someone new at work. She doesn't grab her chest and quite make the scene you do, but it will have to suffice.
I do apologize to GlitterMom though, I was just in complete shock.. it was like.. sherbert on primerib to me. Sometime, the three of us (GlitterGal, GlitterMom, Trollboy (notice the sans glitter there)) will have to go out to a nice german buffet house, and we'll sing songs and drink thick beers and sing "Das ist Berlin" all night long. I know you guys are all slovenian, but I won't hold it against ya, I'll teach you the German ways. After all, Duestchland uber alles!
golden goose
supreme hoodie
lebron shoes
curry 7 shoes
goyard
chrome hearts online store
lebron 16
yeezys
yeezy 700